[01/02/2007] Linux Mint 2.2 "Bianca" beta 014
This release is based on Bea. It is the first release candidate for Linux Mint 2.2 "Bianca" which will be released on the 20/02/2007.
Many thanks to the Linux Mint community from which we managed to gather precious ideas and feedback. We've brought a lot of changes into Bianca and we hope you'll like it.
Here are the main changes:
Minty Artwork and a brand new desktop...
Bea was nice and blue but people complained that it still looked Ubuntu-ish and they couldn't see why Mint didn't look Green. So Bianca comes with two brand new themes; Bianca-Blue and Bianca-Green which give the distribution a whole new "minty" look. Only one panel at the bottom, a Slab-like menu, new default icons... play with it and tell us what you think :)
New Innovations, New Software, New Repository
We've put a lot of efforts into Bianca and started writing our own applications and our own packages. A new repository was added to Bianca for users to be able to get the latest innovations through APT upgrades. It is also possible to upgrade from Bea to Bianca.
The following applications were added to Bianca:
- mintMenu, a replacement for the Gnome menu which is inspired by SUSE's Slab and based on USP.
- mintConfig, a Control Center application which is inspired by SUSE's configuration tool and based on UCP.
- mintDisk, a program which automatically mounts FAT32 and NTFS (Read/Write) partitions (which are not defined in fstab) and places a shortcut on the desktop.
- mintDesktop, which now comes as a package, has a graphical configuration frontend and automatically "mounts" Windows network neighbourhoods.
- mintWifi, which now comes as a package.
And last but not least...
- inserting an ipod doesn't launch amarok anymore
- upgraded all packages including Firefox to version 126.96.36.199
- the live CD now supports two additional languages: Turkish and Spanish.